Junior clubs in north Caernarfonshire were left in an uncertain position following the collapse of the Welsh National League structure in 1930 and it was not until August that year that plans to set up a new junior league came to fruition. The inaugural meeting of the new Bangor and District Junior League was held on 21 August at the Union Club Llandegai, with representatives of several of the area’s junior clubs in attendance. The purpose of the meeting was to set up a league competition for the area and initial support was excellent. At the gathering W J Lloyd, a schoolmaster from Llanllechid, was elected chairman and W E Griffiths of Bethesda was elected vice-chairman. Llew Ellis of Llanfairfechan was elected Secretary (pro-tem). The title of the League was agreed and the following clubs formally applied to join: Llanfairfechan Amateurs, Aber, Llandegai and Llandegai Reserves, Bangor Casuals, Bethesda Victoria Reserves, Douglas Hill and Llanllechid Celts.
As it transpired Llanfairfechan Amateurs, Llandegai Reserves and Douglas Hill did not participate but the addition of Portdinorwic FC, Tregarth FC, Caernarfon Conservatives, Glasinfryn Swifts, Bangor YMCA, Rhiwlas FC and Seiont Rovers ensured a strong competition.
The league settled down and ran until in 1937 when, with membership reduced to seven club, it disbanded. Efforts to revive the league the following year were unsuccessful. Following the Second World War the league reformed as the Gwyrfai League for 1945-46 with the following clubs in membership: Pwllheli British Legion, Nantlle Vale FC, Hunting Aviation Caernarfon, Llanberis Athletic, Portdinorwic FC, Trefor Athletic, Llanrug United, Nefyn United and Pencaenewydd FC.
At the end of the 1949-50 season the competition formally changed the name to the Caernarfon & District League to recognise the new geographical focus of the league.
Mel Thomas 04/04/06